Submission deadline: Sept. 14, 2018
About the Initiative
In 2017, MainStreet Oceanside (MSO) launched the Oceanside Mural Initiative (OMI). The objective of this initiative is to transform Downtown Oceanside into a public arts destination through the creation of unique, visually captivating murals in the Downtown Oceanside district. These works of art will serve to highlight this rapidly growing Southern California beach community and its unique and diverse character.
OMI, through MSO, is issuing a call for artists to submit proposals to create a mural in 2018. Artists do not need to be residents of Oceanside but must have an interest in enhancing the downtown Oceanside community. Artists do not need to have previous mural experience but are expected to possess the necessary skills and expertise to create a mural. Selected artists must be capable of providing a professional and high-quality service while working in tandem with the property owner and respective agencies (business and residential) invested in the downtown community. From the initial artist request process, a small selection of finalists will be chosen to submit renderings of a mural concept. Final muralists will be selected from these concept renderings.
The muralist will receive a payment of $6,000. Muralist is responsible for all costs associated with creation of the mural, including materials, rentals, insurance and any fees associated with the installation. Once the muralist has been selected, a walk-through will occur immediately to identify the location and the actual dimensions of the mural.
Phase One: Submission Process – Call for Artists
To be considered as a selected artist (finalist), please submit the following by the deadline of Friday, Sept. 14, 2018:
• Basic Information: Provide your name, mailing address, phone number and email.
• Artist Profile: We want to know who you are. Submit a short bio outlining your experience as an artist. Include a short description of your artistic concept and vision. Tell us why you should be selected and how your work will impact and enhance our community image.
• Artist Skills and Qualifications: Identify your specific skill set and qualifications that you will utilize to create a mural. Briefly outline your mural process and the materials you plan to use.
• Artist Reference and Experience: Submit a minimum of three, but no more than five, examples of your artwork in PDF or JPEG format. If you have previous experience with murals, please submit examples; otherwise, please submit examples of your artwork that you feel would translate well into a mural.
How to Submit
Please submit the information requested by the submission deadline of Friday, Sept. 14, 2018:
Subject: Oceanside Mural Initiative
Attn: Oceanside Mural Initiative
701 Mission Ave.
Oceanside, CA 92054
Phase Two: Selected Finalists Rendering Submission
If you are selected as a finalist, you will be notified via email by late September 2018 with additional instructions for submitting a mural concept.
As a selected as a finalist, you will be required to agree to the following:
• You will submit a completed 18” x 24” color rendering of your mural concept on a material of your choice by the deadline of September-October 2018 (all submissions must be received by the deadline, late submissions will not be accepted; no exceptions).
• You are the sole creator of any past work or present concepts submitted for review.
• All renderings submitted will be considered the property of the artist and may be picked up after the selection process is complete. If items are not picked up within 90 days, MSO has the permission to utilize your rendering.
• You will provide a short description of the mural concept and artist vision of how your mural image(s) will enhance the downtown Oceanside community image.
• You will submit a projected schedule and budget for the project, which will include the cost for all art supplies, materials, rental equipment and labor that will total $6,000.
If you are selected to create a mural, you agree to the following:
• You will supply all art supplies, rental equipment and materials to be used in creation of the mural.
• You will secure the necessary liability insurance listing the appropriate parties as additionally insured (this may include but is not limited to a minimum of $1,000,000 in liability insurance).
• If hiring assistants, you will secure the necessary workers compensation insurance.
• The mural created will have a five-year lifespan and you will maintain the mural for the duration of the agreement.
Thank you for your interest in the Oceanside Mural Initiative and for your interest in a dynamic, vibrant downtown Oceanside! We look forward to receiving your submission
Location of Proposed Mural: 236 N. Horne St., Downtown Oceanside